In order to have success in the toileting training we must find out the elimination pattern. Meaning that we need to figure out around what time the child is wetting or soiling his/her pants.
In order to find out this pattern we must keep a record for 2 weeks. After the two week period toilet training may begin.
During the two week period do the following:
1. You should keep handling toileting the same way you have been doing so far.
2. Check your child every morning to see if he is dry, has urinated, or has had a bowel movement in his diaper.
3. Check every hour after this until bedtime.
4. After checking every hour record each time.
5. If the child has a wet or soiled diaper. This will help you know if your child has had an accident in the next hour and will also help your child to get used to be dry.
After two week of keeping track you will most likely be able to identify the times in the day in which your child is likely to have a bowel movement. Once you identify the time of the day make sure to sit your child in the toilet for a couple of minutes at a time. Stick to the schedule. Failure to stick to the schedule will jeopardize the training.
Please remember to use a highly reinforcing item to reward your child when they eliminate in the toilet. Also remember to praise for every attempt. It is very important to keep your child motivated.
Please click here to download an elimination chart.
To read part 1 of our post, click here.